Click here to watch a TALK book discussion in action.
How to Create a TALK Book Discussion in Your Community
Up to three books per series are eligible for scholar-facilitated talk discussions. You may borrow all the available books in a series (up to six) and lead discussions yourself for the remaining books.
- Review the TALK catalog and select a TALK series. In a hurry? Review this two-page list of TALK series and books.
- Reserve the TALK series from the Northwest Kansas Library System. Contact the Northwest Kansas Library System or call (785) 877-5148. Be sure to confirm:
a. How many books you need.
b. When the books will be shipped to you.
c. How the books will be shipped (through the library courier system or USPS).
d. When the books need to be returned.
- Wait for confirmation of your series reservation.
- Select a discussion leader for each of the three books.
- Contact discussion leader(s) and confirm dates, location, and time.
- Immediately apply for a Community Resources Grant to bring the discussion leader(s) to your community. Find out how. (Please note: Completed applications, including the DUNS number, must be submitted 6 weeks before the event dates to be considered for funding. KHC is not able to fund applications that do not meet this requirement.)
- Publicize your event. Download press releases, discussion leader bios, and KHC logo poster.
- Tell us how it went. After your final discussion, download and fill out the TALK Evaluation Forms and Cost Share Report. Please fill out one for each discussion and email it to Leslie Von Holten.
Contact Leslie Von Holten, director of programs, at leslie(at)kansashumanities.org or (785) 357-0359, for more information.
*Talk About Literature in Kansas is available as funding allows.