–Annette, Hutchinson Public Library
All Kansas Humanities Council speakers and book discussions are available to Kansas nonprofits free-of-charge, as funding allows.
- In-state nonprofits are eligible, including colleges and universities.
- 501(c)(3) status is not required.
- A DUNS number is required. What is a DUNS number? The nine-digit number is used to track federal funding. DUNS numbers are free and never require a processing fee. Receive a DUNS number free-of-charge by calling (866) 705-5711 or by visiting http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform. Need help? Click here for a simple, step-by-step “How to Get a DUNS Number” cheat sheet.
If the speaker/discussion leader is traveling up to 200 miles one-way for your event, the sponsoring organization will receive $300 to pay for the speaker.
If the speaker/discussion leader is traveling 201 miles or more one-way for your event, the sponsoring organization will receive $500 to pay for the speaker.
All KHC funds are matched with local contributions called cost share. This includes volunteer or staff hours needed to organize the event, the rental of a meeting room, and other items. It does not have to include a cash match. Click here to see a sample cost share form.
- Completed applications are due no later than six weeks before the event date.
- The events should occur within six months of the date of the submission to KHC.
In-state, nonprofit organizations are eligible for up to 4 funding requests per KHC fiscal year (November 1 through October 31) as funding allows. This includes:
- Up to 2 Speakers Bureau requests
- Up to 2 TALK book series requests
All KHC programs – Speakers Bureau and TALK – are intended to be free and open to the public. Please contact Leslie Von Holten at leslie(at)kansashumanities.org or (785) 357-0359 if you have questions. It is possible that not every request for funding will be awarded.
KHC program funds cannot be used for administrative fees or indirect costs. Funding is only to be used to pay for the humanities professional(s).
The sponsoring organization will be responsible for:
- Coordinating and publicizing the event
- Paying the speaker/discussion leader on the day of the event
- Submitting a brief final report and cost share report to KHC within two weeks after the event is held. (Filing your final report ensures that your organization can continue to receive KHC support grants, as funding allows). Links to final report and cost share forms are below:
Contact Leslie Von Holten, director of programs, at leslie(at)kansashumanities.org or (785) 357-0359. We’ll walk you through the process.